Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Name

Picking a name took a bit more time than I thought it would.  "San Elijo Hills Running Club" immediately popped into my mind, as it gives the golden trifecta of not only the town name and purpose of the club, but the topography as well.  I could see a jersey in my mind's eye, like the one below, on a t-shirt design website, but a bit better, but they wanted a minimum order of six shirts.  As I stared at the website, my future running life montage flashed before my eyes.  I was wearing the colors of San Elijo, Chariots of Fire was playing, I was running . . .



But then the debate began.  What about "San Elijo Hills Athletic Club?", which could encompass running and any other sport, such as baseball, darts, sailing or soccer.  Too ambitious, I'd immediately need to raise $5M  for a club building and pool.  Instead, we can hang out in my garage, it has an old television with basic cable, tools, bikes and dogs.

Should I limit myself to just San Elijo?  Perhaps, "North County Running Club"?  No, its too big an area.  I don't run all over North County, just the SEH area.  Keep it simple.  Stick to what I know.  Besides, the best running in North County is in San Elijo Hills, so let's promote San Elijo.  

Just when I thought I was done, I wondered about a less traditional team name, like "Hill Eaters" or "Hill Runners?  Maybe something more fun.  I couldn't think of any good fun ones.  No, these names never stick around for the long haul.  I wanted something classic, something that has stood the test of time and would endure as long as the running jerseys last.  

My mind continued the debate and my thoughts drifted to common team names like "Track Club", "Road Runners" and "Racers".  Too limiting, I thought.  The club is for runners, whether they run on the road, track, trail or treadmill, in races or not.  So after hours of thought, I returned to where I began and picked San Elijo Hills Running Club.  

San Elijo Hills Running Club


No comments:

Post a Comment