Thursday, March 12, 2015

Running and writing

I want to be a writer.

But I already am.  I write tens of pages every week at work.  Legal analysis, contracts, pleadings, discovery, case reports, emails, etc.  The harder trick is writing while not at work.  The blog is a middle ground of where I want to be.  I just need to sit down and do it.

But I'm afraid.  The blank page is not my friend.  It mocks me, daring me to write something someone wants to read.

The blog is a bit easier.  It's factual.  A bit like work, but without the stress and more flavor thrown in.  However, the more I've been running, the less I've had a desire to blog.  I'm in the home stretch for Boston and my body is tired.  In the last seven weeks, I've had runs of 16, 20, 16, 21, 17, 18, 21, 21 and 17.  I've never run so long or so much in my life.

I'm following the elite training program for a marathon from the Daniels' Running Formula, second edition.  After these last few weeks, I don't think I'm as elite as I thought.  Daniels has you do two quality workouts a week.  The rest is just mileage.  The quality workouts are killing me.  I don't look forward to them.  I just want Boston to be here.

However, I think I turned a corner today.  My body has definitely changed.  A few months ago, there is no way I could string together the runs I'm doing.  My body is adapting.  I may have lost a bit of speed, but my endurance has come around.  More importantly, I can walk normally within a few hours of the runs.  My energy level is returning and so is my my desire to write.  I want to face that blank page and scratch some ink into it.

Anyone have any book ideas . . .

    

No comments:

Post a Comment